16 December 2005

 

...On the other

Gay man, himself a veteran, sees his husband/lover/partner off to service: link here, via Andrew Sullivan.

I parked the truck while he checked his luggage and I walked him quickly to the Security Checkpoint. A brief embrace and a kiss. I insisted. I didn’t care who was watching. And he went on through, franticly emptying his pockets and taking off his shoes.

I stood and watched him walk into the terminal until I couldn't see him anymore. Then I went on to the truck and waited for a phone call saying he had made it aboard before I headed home to an empty house and a dirty kitchen where dinner still sat, cold on the stove.

Another goodbye. Two years ago almost to the day it was the same for me. I was on my way to fight in my war. Now it’s his turn.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?