10 April 2006

 

Fear and Loathing on the Road to War

Andrew Sullivan has posted, here, an e-mail from someone whose take on the Iraq war gets at my worst fears about what has transpired. Like Sullivan, I supported -- still support (but for reasons I admit are difficult to justify given what's gone down -- the war, but all along my biggest fear has been that the war was proposed, in the heart of hearts of the President and his advisors, more for political reasons than for more noble ones. Primarily to win the elections of 2004 overwhelmingly.

It is difficult for me to admit that such cynicism exists, in my or in others' imaginations, much less in the President of the United States of America. But Sullivan's correspondent makes a good argument. And even if you don't buy the argument, there is much in the note that is worthy of consideration.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?