02 April 2006

 

Nuevo Americanos, Si! Trabajadores de Huésped , No!!

I'm all for open borders to people who want to make their home here in the USA, but the idea of giving people visas just to come here and work without establishing ties to the larger national community (or communities) just strikes me as wrong.

If we need to find a way to accelerate the process by which foreign nationals -- including currently illegal immigrants -- become permanent residents and American citizens, then let's do it. But let's not repeat the mistakes many European countries have made with guest worker programs and disconnected immigrants. Having physical immigrant communities that are legally disconnected from the social and political processes of the nation isn't a good thing in my book.

Comments:
Funny you should say that, because such concerns are on my mind right now here in Britain. Since the European Union opened up, droves of unskilled workers from Eastern and Southern Europe are now setting up temporary residence in small towns and using up the few available unskilled job spaces (which I need).

Who's idiotic idea was this? Although I can fully understand those workers doing it (I would probably do the same if I were in their position) it doesn't mean I have to "like" it.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?