18 December 2006


Question of Usage

When did "overpass" become "flyover?"

To me, a "flyover" is something that acrobatic pilots do at an airshow. But twice in the last fifteen minutes I've seen the word used to refer to a piece of roadway crossing another roadway.

Any civil-engineering usage types out there?

I first heard the term years ago in England used in place of "overpass". According to the Wikipedia article here, "flyover" in the US is used now to denote a special type of overpass. I assume it was adapted from the UK usage.
Elder Deily, is that you?
Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?