16 May 2008
Next month, Mack and I go to Alaska, a trip we've wanted to make for a long time. The itinerary has just fallen into place, finally, today.
- Monday, 2 June: I fly to Anchorage, getting in late. We're using points to go first class. What a concept.
- Wednesday and Thursday, 4-5 June: I attend and present our ERAU team's UAS work at the CGAR meeting.
- Thursday, 5 June: Mack flies in, first class. I know, we're spoiling ourselves here.
- Friday, 6 June: We take the Alaska Railroad, north to just outside Denali National Park and Preserve. We'll spend one night outside the park at the Denali River Cabins. The same folks own the place we'll be staying within the park.
- Saturday-Tuesday, 7-10 June: We stay in the backcountry of the park at the Kantishna Roadhouse. Three days on the north side of Mount McKinley. Should be pretty cool. Besides hiking and wildlife observing, we hope to do one of the glacier landings with a "flightseeing" plane.
- Tuesday, 10 June: Take the train from Denali to Fairbanks.
- Tuesday-Thursday, 10-12 June: We'll be staying in Fairbanks, but hope to hit the Chena Hot Springs Resort for most of the day on Wednesday.
- Thursday, 12 June: This is still tentative, but the plan is to fly to Barrow from Fairbanks, spend the day there, then fly to Anchorage that night. We had wanted to stay in Barrow overnight, but you can't get a flight out until the evening, and we weren't quite sure what we'd make of two full days in Barrow. Still, I hope to put my toes in the Arctic Ocean.
- Thursday-Saturday, 12-14 June: Spend some time in and around Anchorage. Maybe take a day cruise or something.
- Saturday-Sunday, 14-15 June: Fly back to Florida, uh, first class. All those Northwest miles from when we lived in Memphis are finally paying off!
Links to this post:
Be careful with those first class tickets. You won't want to go back to coach once you experience life in front of the curtain!Post a Comment
Links to this post: